The steel mill in Liege, Belgium was founded in 1911 under
the name S.A. des Usines à Tubes de la Meuse. The 70 ton electric arc
furnace and the world’s largest round strand caster were built in 1972 by
Cockerill to provide blooms for the Tubemeuse Pilger rolling mill across
the river. It was later taken over by Cockerill and went bancrupt in 1988.
The mill carried on under the name New Tubemeuse until it filed bancruptcy
again in 1993. The tube rolling facilities were closed down this time and
the melt shop was sold to the
Ellwood Steel company from Pennsylvania.
In 2009 the German GMH group bought the site.