first iron works the „Royal Foundry“ started production in Le Creusot,
France in 1782.
In 1836 Adolphe und Eugène Schneider took over the foundry and made it
into the “French Krupp”, a factory producing speciality steels,
locomotives, large weapons and machinery.
In 1876 the largest steam hammer worldwide (100 ton) was installed at
Schneider & Cie .The first hydraulik press starts production in 1890.
In 1920 more than 20000 people are employed in the mill’s blast furnaces,
open hearth shops, rolling mills, forges, foundries and mechanical shops.
Iron production is closed down in 1940.
From 1949 on the mills in Le Creusot are named “Société des Forges et
Ateliers du Creusot (SFAC)”.
In 1952 a 7500-ton hydraulic press (a reparation from Germany) is
The first nuclear power plant equipment is produced in 1954.
In 1970 the SFAC joins the “Cie. des Ateliers et Forges de la Loire” to
form “Creusot-Loire Industries“.
In 1984 Creusot Loire filed bancruptcy and the steel and rolling mills
were taken over by USINOR.In 1998 the Creusot steel activities were merged
with the Belgian
Fabrique de Fer de Charleroi to form Industeel.
Industeel Le Creusot today runs a 100 ton electric arc furnace, a 4 meter
heavy plate mill and a steel foundry.
Industeel is part of ArcelorMittal since 2006.