Founded in 1912 as the Trumbull Steel Co., the mill
has a long history in steel production. In 1928, the company merged with
Republic Iron and Steel Co. and, two years later, was renamed Republic
Steel Corp. Another merger changed its name to LTV Steel Co. when it
combined with J&L Steel Corp. in 1984. The company became Warren
Consolidated Industries, Inc. in 1988.
WCI Steel employed 2,600 people, and had an annual steel capacity of 1.5
million tons. In 2008 WCI was taken over by the Russian steel company
Three years later Severstal sold the plant to RG Steel who filed
bancruptcy in 2012.
The Warren Blast Furnace once was the largest worldwide.